New Series Alert: Mistresses
Having just finished devouring the entire eight seasons of Desperate Housewives, I was desperately (haha) in need of a new TV series to watch. I love everything about summer, except the fact that almost all TV shows take a break! So, after browsing IMDB for a bit, I picked out Mistresses, mainly because it had four female main characters, a formula that I seem to like, and starred Alyssa Milano. As a long-time Charmed fan, I couldn’t resist seeing her in a brand new series. I watched the first season in a week, and wanted to share my thoughts on here!
Mistresses – Should You Watch It?
What is it?
Mistresses is actually based on a UK series with the same name. It stars a friendship group of four young women, including two sisters, whose lives all feature adultery and deceit in some form or another. The main character is Savannah, or Savi, a successful lawyer with a less than successful marriage to Harry. Her younger sister Josselyn lives a typical L.A. life of partying, drinking, and sleeping with married men. The third character, Karen, is a psychiatrist who went a bit too far with a married patient. And lastly, April is a widowed mother of one, who is about to discover a devastating secret about her late husband. The first season, which started on 30 June 2013 and consists of 13 episodes, follows their lives as all these secrets and lies disrupt their happiness.
Why is it good?
– I really like Alyssa Milano, and I actually find her character’s traits in this series are quite similar to Phoebe’s in Charmed, which makes it fun to watch.
– It’s addictive! Of course every episode ends on a cliffhanger, which means you just keep going.
– It features incredible male eye candy, as well as stunning L.A. houses and clothes.
Why is it bad?
– The characters’ decisions will annoy you to no end in every single episode.
– It’s often very soap opera-y: flat dialogue and dramatic scenes.
– The characters’ glamorous lives and their idiotic decisions are totally unrelatable… but then again isn’t that the appeal of these TV series, much like 90210?
Should you watch it?
If you like 90210 and Desperate Housewives, you’ll like this show… only as a summer show though, as you wait for better shows to start up again! Season 2 is currently being aired and it won’t take you long to catch up.