Raspberry and Coffee Cake
The days are getting longer and warmer… Spring is just around the corner! As soon as the first rays of sunshine make their appearance, I immediately long for summer food.
Raspberries are my favorite summer fruit, and I love including them in my recipes. Coffee is also one of my favorite flavors, so I wanted to combine the two in an airy summery cake. The result was delicious! The bitterness of the coffee and the sourness of the raspberries contrast with the sweet cake base. Definitely an interesting combination!
Summery Raspberry and Coffee Cake
- 200g self-raising flour
- 90g golden caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3 tbsp ground coffee
- 50g butter
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 egg
- 140ml light cream
- 120g fresh or frozen raspberries
1. Heat oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/Gas 6 and grease a rectangular cake tin. If you’re using frozen raspberries, make sure you defrost them first.
2. Melt the butter (you need to do this now so it has time to cool!).
3. In a mug, stir 3 tbsp of boiling water into the coffee. Let it do its things for a few minutes, then strain and mix in the milk. Set aside until step 4.
4. In one bowl, mix the flour, sugar and bicarbonate of soda. In another bowl, beat the egg and mix in the light cream, butter and coffee.
5. Stir the second mixture into the flour mixture until almost combined, then tip in the raspberries (gently!) and stir until combined.
6. Pour this delicious mixture into your cake tin, and bake for 20 minutes. Stick a knife into the cake and it should come out slightly pink from the raspberry juice. Serve with coffee, of course!